Over the long, hot Memorial Day weekend we took a quick day trip to an Iris Farm a couple of hours away. Not only was it a beautiful place for the kids to run crazy but it had the added advantage of being overcast and in the mid 60s.
Perfect. Just a few years ago (pre kids) I'm sad to admit that the idea of visiting an iris farm would have ranked pretty low on my list of fun things to do over a holiday weekend. Bump it up a few years, and a few kids later, and there is nothing I love more than being able to get outdoors and let the kids explore the world free of stroller restraints, noise restrictions, not to mention stares from onlookers when they finally hit their breaking points and start to melt down. Come to think of it the best experiences we've had with the kids have mainly centered around getting them outdoors and just letting them be little. I love exposing them children's museums, libraries and outdoor concerts as much as any other overachieving Mom but what
they really enjoy best is a big space to run in, dirt, sticks and fresh air.
First a picture of me and my love. Ahhhh. And if you look closely there's also the beginnings of a baby belly starting to appear (the rest is all me) We're closing in on 12 weeks!
Adjacent to the Iris Farm was a beautiful wooded area complete with picnic tables and because it was overcast and threatening to rain we had the area all to ourselves. The kids explored the woods and bridges for a bit and then hunger got the best of all us and we sat down to a delicious picnic that Grandma Campos packed for us. Luckily we made it through to dessert, yummm cookies, before the lightening started to get serious and the farm owners asked us to take shelter.
A short while later the weather cleared and we were able to go out into the Iris Farm again. The kids loved running from row to row but their favorite part was playing in rusty old cauldron. Who needs an expensive play set when you can have a cast iron cauldron?
And lastly the Irises.
And the "pet" Sophia was not permitted to bring home.
What great beauty in this post! I love it all! You know, since my kids are grown, we don't go and do the things like that we did when they were young. And I miss it. Maybe now we'll do it with the grandkids like your children's grandparents do. I'll gladly pack the picnics.
ReplyDeleteThank-you for sharing. And I'm so excited for you to be expecting this new one.
Awesome! Where is this? Great pic's of the flower's!
ReplyDeleteMs Moon. Thank you for your kind comments! There really is something about sharing new experiences, holidays or the outdoors with little kids that makes it fun all over again. I wish you many, many picnics and adventures with your kids and grandkids.
ReplyDeleteRain. It's located in Hondo just outside Ruidoso. I think they may be open year round but the Iris part of it is only in bloom during the month of May. We actually visited it towards the end of the blooming cycle but it was still beautiful!