Monday, February 22, 2010

Re:my nervous twitch

On an intellectual level I would tell you that while yes, life with three small children can be stressful at times, overall I feel in control, confident and happy. That is would have told you, if you cared to ask, and that is what I whole-hardly believed.

Until I developed an eye spasm.

And according to my right eyelid I'm just one crayon mark on the wall away from coming completely unhinged.

It started a couple of months ago around the holidays and at first I attributed it to sleeping with my contacts on for a couple of nights here and there. The tick lasted until about the time Patrick went back to work (hmmm, interesting point of note) and then gradually tapered off. I avoided sleeping with my contacts and thought that I had correctly pinpointed the source of the spasms.

Until last weekend.. A weekend filled with unexpected yard projects, an overwhelming desire to spring clean and purge everything unnecessary from every room, closet and crevice, two infuriatingly whiny baby boys and an adorable little girl with the temper of a snake and the sunny disposition of a mule.
By late Saturday night my right eyelid was ticking to the rhythm of strobe light . The more my children talked, yelled, whined, cried, begged,screamed, argued,bargained, nagged,questioned, and badgered the more intense the ticking got.

On Sunday afternoon I was given a reprieve and drove as far and as fast as I could and within minutes the twitching stopped. I spent two deliriously wonderful hours at Target  before heading home and not once did my eyelid move (besides to blink in a normal fashion). I even forgot about it until I arrived home and the mere sound of them screaming, mama, mama, mama! as I walked into the door sent me twitchin' again.

And so it went for the rest of the night. Nice, hot shower... no ticks.  Sophia asking me for yet another refill of her sippy cup....twitching! Nice conversation with hubby over dinner...no tweeking.  Little boys and their bony knees and elbows jumping all over me.. spasms!

The near perfect Pavlov effect is eerie. As I sit writing this my eyes are fine and the minute Sophia walks in to complain that her brothers are not sleeping and can I please go in and quiet them down sets my twitching off again. I feel like a caricature of stay at home mother on the brink. Just give me an empty stare, a marlboro light, blue fuzzy slippers, a worn bathrobe and top it all off with some pink hair rollers and the nervous tick would be right at home.

(Oh and on the off chance one of my kids cares enough to read this when they're the adults and I'm the batty old woman they're planning to drop off at the home for The Aged and Decrepit ....................
FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES YOU GAVE ME A &%*# NERVOUS TWITCH!!! THAT'S GOTTA BE WORTH THE UPGRADE TO AN ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY. NOT TO MENTION THE UNTOLD HORRORS YOU WREAKED UPON MY ONCE LOVELY BODY(BOYS!) I'M NOT SAYING YOU OWE ME BUT WELL, YOU DO.
LOVE MOM.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when my daughter Lily got married and my eye did the same. I can always tell when I'm stressed out because yes, that twitch, twitch, twitch occurs. Try a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody Mary's are officially on the post dinner menu for Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that episode of Jon and Kate Plus 8 where Kate reveals what her stomach looks like post delivering 6 babies? Apparently the same thing happens if you carry twins to term. NOT PRETTY. I do however think that pictures of my stomach on a billboard would be effective method of bringing down teen pregnancy rates.

    ReplyDelete