Saturday, October 24, 2009

Happy 4th Birthday Sunshine Girl


My radiant, beautiful Sophia

I struggle to write this because I can hardly think of the right words to describe what a blessing having you in my life these four years has been. Sadly I lack the talents and the vocabulary for this, so here I sit an hour into starting and the sole phrase that keeps swirling around in my mind is How wonderful life is, now you're in the world. One day you'll be old enough to be embarrassed that the best your Mom could do is a line from an Elton John song but truth be told, from the day you were born I could not sing that song to you without my throat locking up from emotion. 

Sophia, the world is a brighter, richer and more beautiful place now that you're in it. 

There will be times when you are older that you will doubt that. Doubt yourself. Doubt what an extraordinary gift you have been to your Daddy and me. And in those moments I hope that you'll remember the brave, determined, confident, spunky little four year old that you are now. Remember that little girl that puts on her parade of princess dresses and when facing the mirror always sees herself for the beautiful person she is. The little girl that never doubts her intelligence, her talents or her ability to succeed. The four year old Sophia with such a passion and excitement for learning that she can barely contain her boundless questions and vast curiosity with the world. Remember the natural born leader who faces down any challenge with nothing but sheer will, unwavering determination and razor sharp wit. Remember back to the little girl who intuitively knows just how very much her Mommy and Daddy love her.  

And when looking back I hope you realize that whether you are four or seventy four all of those things will always be true. 

You are our shining, brilliant, radiant gift. We love you.  From age four until forever.

Happy Birthday Sophia Elena,
Mommy and Daddy 

No comments:

Post a Comment