I have delusions of grandiosity. I'm aware of it and have accepted it as my one and only flaw. This flaw has led me to create a blog. A blog where I have unchecked capacity to express my viewpoints and opinions to the world.
( As an aside I hate the word "blog" (sounds like something I should wipe up or disinfect) so I've decided to call it a letter instead........A Love Letter to my 3 sweethearts.)
As a condition of my aforementioned flaw I have convinced myself that one day my children will want to read this and all the other "letters" I've written for them. Here's my delusional reasoning why:
1) As adults my kids will want to know me as a person and not just as "The Woman Who Ruined My Life!" They'll care about my perspective and will get to know me as an individual through my description of life as their mother. (At a very minimum they'll be able to print it and take to their psychiatrist for clues into what missteps made them the way they are....You're very welcome kids!)
2)They will want to learn more about our life together, our ups and downs as a family, and what they were like as kids. They will get to revisit all those faded memories via this letter and will really care that I recorded at what age they first potty trained or about their first day of preschool. More specifically and this is the important one... through reading this letter they will begin to understand the breadth and depth of the love I feel for them. (Even when they are way past the age that I am able to sweep them up and smother them with hugs and kisses.)
3) And finally for "historical purposes" my great grandchildren will one day be able to thumb through the yellowed, worn pages of my blog letter (printed and maintained for perpetuity of course) and learn about what life was like for their grandparents and great grandparents at the turn of the century. (I know, I know! This one is far fetched. Paper copies are so unrealistic. It'll be on Kindle version 24.0 by then.)
And if I'm being really honest (which I rarely am) I write for purely selfish reasons. To keep sane, to have a place to vent, to have an outlet amidst all the chaos, to feel like I'm doing something other than mothering and mostly because I really enjoy writing.
(So kids if you're reading this as adults here's proof that your Mother is a real person with needs, wants and ideas of her own. But you guys are so smart! You've figured that one out by now, right?)
No comments:
Post a Comment