Friday, July 31, 2009

A Blah Week filled with some Firsts

It's been one of those weeks. I'm in avoidance/denial mode and have so far this week dodged mopping, cleaning the bathrooms, organizing for our yet-to-be-scheduled garage sale, organizing any fundraisers for September convention, and blogging. Not that blogging falls into the same unpleasant category but it does require me to exert some mental energy of which I have none.

Okay enough with the whining. While I was reliving my teenage slacker days this week we had a number of firsts.

1)First time any of our kids had to experience yucky nebulizer (breathing) treatments. Poor Alex not only caught the upper respiratory infection I had last week but had to suffer through a much worse version of it. After much back and forth on Monday about whether he really needed to see a doctor, we finally took him in when his breathing became labored. Luckily it wasn't severe enough of an infection to be admitted to the hospital but he did come home with a face mask/breathing machine, which he has a distinct hate/hate relationship with. Poor baby. He looks so sad and dejected with the darn thing on. Additionally he also had what appeared to be his first nightmare. It's hasn't been such a great week for Alex.

2) First time any of our kids stuck an object up their nose. You don't want to know the gory details but Sophia managed to stick a rock up her nose. It wasn't pretty but I managed to get the damn thing out without a trip to the doctor. Afterward I warned her that the next time she stuck anything up her nose we'd have to cut a hole in her face to take it out....mother of the year material for sure.

3) First time Max said Mama! This may not seem like a big deal but let me tell you, the boy is almost 18 months and had yet to talk spontaneously. Up to this point he would jibber jabber on ALL day in what sounds to us like Japanese AND he could mimic the heck out of any word but no spontaneous language. Apparently this week all the right brain synapses connected and he was on verbal fire! He said "Sister"! He said "Catch"! He said "DON'T TOUCH"! He said "All done"! He said "NO"! He said "Hot!" He said "Uh Oh!" He said "Hat!" and finally he said "Mama"! Ahhh...There is no sweeter sound than your baby saying your name for the first time (well not your proper name. The first time that happens evokes a whole 'nuther emotion.) Just as a disclaimer he has been saying Daddy or Dada for a while but I have a feeling that he was being coached. I'm just saying.

4) First time I skipped out on a twin group Mom's night out. Again this doesn't seem like a big deal but to this point I have always jumped at the chance to have a few hours away enjoying adult conversation, good food and hopefully margaritas! Not that I don't still enjoy those things but I also don't feel desperate for them either. Lately I've been able to fill up my "extracurricular calendar" with more regular, frequent outings so I don't feel like I'm in mama drone mode all the time. Good for me, even better for my family. After all "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". Just ask Patrick.

Four firsts is a decent place to stop at right? I don't want to have to start making stuff up. Like "The first time I lost 15 pounds in a week by not working out and eating whatever I wanted"!! Wait, that's called breastfeeding and I certainly didn't do that this week.

Maybe Patrick can log on and add a first from his week... after all, the rest of us got one in. No pressure love :) I'm just certain that one day the kids will enjoy hearing from good ole' Dad via this medium. But if you're busy that's okay too. No pressure. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment