Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Children are a gift

Children are a gift


Children are a gift


Children are a gift


Children are a gift


This was my mantra today. I tried to psyche myself out. 
I've heard that if you smile, even if you don't mean it, that your mood improves because somehow you've tricked your 
endocrine system into releasing endorphins. Put on a bright 
smile and trick your brain into sending you a steady supply of 
Mother nature's home cooked opiates.

And did it work? No, not really.


I plastered on my most lovely beauty queen smile, spoke to the little dears in the most tender,motherly voice I could conjure up and repeated my mantra through every whinefest, obnoxious 
tantrum and bloody battle over a toy that we have triplicate of. Not only did their behavior remain the same but they also 
started staring at me as though I had lost my freakin' mind. 


What THE HELL is wrong with Mom? She keeps whispering to 
herself and her face looks like it's starting to hurt. And why is 
she suddenly talking like a Snow White?


Tomorrow I'm taking a different approach.


I'm gonna scowl. Scowl so deep and ominously that Dick 
Cheney himself would cross the street to avoid my snarl. 


Then I'm going to adopt a "Mama don't play that" attitude and whip my head around and make snappy
comments every time one of them tries to "sass me". "Oh, no 
you didn't!"


And finally my new mantra will be "I brought you into this 
world and I just as swiftly take you out".


New school vs. Old School.


I like it.


3 comments:

  1. Saw the comment you left on Ms. Moon's site and just had to come by. You have a lovely, lovely family. Blessings to all of you.
    And I have so many of those days too. I agree and bear it and remind myself that, yes, children are a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And there's always that Bill Cosby quote: I made you and I can make another one just like you.
    Or something like that.
    Balance. One day, Snow White, the next day, Roseanne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Angie and yes Ms Moon balance is very important these days. I had to laugh at the Bill Cosby quote because it seems very applicable to a parent of Twins.

    BTW- Today was a good day and I didn't even need to whip out the Roseanne!

    ReplyDelete